An Alabama native, Dr. Brian Bacot graduated summa cum laude from Alabama A&M and then continued on to The University of Alabama-Birmingham's School of Medicine. He completed his residency in orthopaedic surgery at The University of Miami School of Medicine/Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, Florida. During his residency, Dr. Bacot's research pursuits included corrective procedures for children with Blount's disease, a progressive bowing of the legs, and surgical outcomes research for patients with cervical fusions.
Upon completion of his residency, Dr. Bacot accepted a fellowship in Arthritis and Adult Reconstruction at the American Sports Medicine Institute in Birmingham, Alabama. There he received further training, and helped develop innovations in joint reconstruction and arthritis care, including the latest techniques in minimally invasive hip and knee replacements.
Prior to moving to St. Thomas, Dr. Bacot was the founder of a very successful, state-of-the-art practice in Atlanta, Georgia. With his pleasant and caring bedside manner, innovative, minimally invasive techniques, and emphasis on pain management, which all lead to rapid recovery and reduced pain, he has become a surgeon of choice throughout the United States. During his years in private practice, Dr. Bacot has had a steady flow of patients who have traveled from all over the world to see him.
Dr. Bacot cares about his patients as people and is committed to creating a doctor-patient relationship that enhances restorations and recovery. His goal is not simply to run the race, but to set the standard and provide the best in orthopaedic healthcare to become the orthopaedic care provider of choice. Dr. Bacot continues to stay up-to-date on the latest, most advanced technology by using ConforMIS customized knee implants for his patients' knee replacement needs and doing consultant work for CONMED and MicroPort.
Dr. Bacot is deeply involved in his local and international community by actively contributing and being involved with local school activities, sponsoring sporting events and teams as well as contributing to many local charities. His involvement with international healthcare and services include teaching to local healthcare professionals in Costa Rica with the international organization Healthcare Volunteers Overseas. In 2010, Dr. Bacot was one of the first orthopaedists from the territory to arrive in earthquake-ravaged Port-au-Prince. Dr. Bacot is also the Director of Comprehensive Surgical Services.
When not working, Dr. Bacot enjoys outdoor activities such as kayaking, boating, traveling, and NASCAR racing.
- Bachelor of Science, Environmental Science, Alabama A&M University, Normal, AL, 1991
- Doctorate of Medicine, The University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine, Birmingham, AL, 1996
- General Surgery, University of Miami Health System - Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, FL, 1996-1997
- Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Miami Health System - Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, FL, 1997-2001
- Adult Reconstruction, American Sports Medicine Institute, Birmingham, AL, 2001-2002
- Board-Certified, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Fellow, American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
- American Sports Medicine Institute Fellowship Society
- International Society of Surgery
- Virgin Islands Medical Society
- Florida Orthopaedic Society
- Director, Comprehensive Surgical Services