-A +A

The pool provides an ideal place to work stiff muscles and sore joints, especially if you’re overweight or suffer from arthritis. Why you ask? Well, when the human body is submerged in water, it automatically becomes lighter. When immersed to the waist, your body bears just 50 percent of its weight; dunk yourself to the chest and that number reduces to around 25 or 35 percent. With water all the way to the neck, you only have to bear 10 percent of your own weight. The other 90 percent is handled by the pool. Below are even more reasons to head to the pool this summer!

  • Swimming has been shown to ease symptoms of asthma and reduce the risk of diabetes
  • It improves posture, balance, flexibility and cholesterol
  • It increases longevity and helps to control appetite
  • It strengthens and tones almost every muscle in the body
  • It exercises your body without having a harsh impact on your skeletal system, therefore, reducing the risk of injury

So what can swimming do for your mental health as well?

  • It can significantly lower stress
  • It boosts confidence and self-discipline when made a routine
  • Causes your body to release endorphins which make you HAPPIER!
  • Swimming is also a meditative exercise, with the sound of your own breathing and the splash of the water acting as a mantra of sorts that can help you “drown out” all other distractions