January is always a great month to focus on change and new ideas. During the holidays, having an extra serving of turkey or pie is one of the guilty pleasures that we all share. January, however, is now the time to get back on track and work on improving fitness.
There are many things we can do to help ourselves improve fitness. Sugar is one of the prime ingredients of the holidays and, unfortunately, is a contributing cause of many health problems.
Exercise is an excellent method of preventing and controlling orthopaedic problems. An estimated 27 million Americans suffer from Osteoarthritis. Walking can dramatically reduce some of the functional limitations caused by Osteoarthritis.
Best Workout Tips To Get Back On Track.
- Set Realistic Goals – If you haven’t been at a certain weight or fitness level since you were 18, it may not be a realistic goal for you today.
- Do Easy Things – Use the stairs at work, pack a lunch instead of buying fast food. Walk instead of driving when possible.
- Do Things You Like – Choose the type of exercise that you enjoy the most.
- Consistency – be consistent with exercise and diet as this will ultimately give you the best result.
- Get qualified expert help and advice- before you start an exercise or diet routine.
- It is important to have a balanced fitness program that includes cardio exercise, strength training and flexibility.
- Join a Class – Such as Pilates, Yoga or Boot Camp class. Try something new and see if you like it.
- Buddy System – Working out with a buddy is not only fun but will help you maintain a regular schedule.
- Reward Yourself –As you reach a short term goal (even a little one) give yourself a small reward. The bigger the goal, the bigger the reward.
- Be Patient –Start your diet and exercise program by reminding yourself to be patient, it will take time before you see the benefit of exercise.